Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Summer of Loving Kindness - Walking



Being part of the Summer of Loving Kindness Invitational, I'm becoming so much more aware of how unkind I can be to me. And I know I'm not alone. Last post, many of you chimed in about how difficult it is to take the time to be kind to yourself.

The good news is that it is possible to show loving kindness to ourselves and many of you had great ideas to pass along. Meditating. Yoga. Naps.

I walk. I realized this week that for me, this is an act of loving kindness. I used to think of it as necessary exercise but over the years, it's become much more. I get out of my doing and into being. Instead of listening to the noise in my head, I listen to the birds, lean on the cedar tree, watch the ducks, fish and otters in the lake.

An added plus, walking with my cute doggy, Jilly. Now, to take a suggestion from Stacy, maybe it's time for a nap.

6 comments:

Janet said...

Walking is the same thing for me. It's been so hot lately, I haven't done it nearly enough. I need to get back into that mindset of it being something I do FOR myself, not just as a way to lose weight or whatever.

Susan Gallacher-Turner said...

Janet,
I know what you mean about the heat, though...it's been hot and humid here and I hate that sticky feeling. But, getting out in the early morning or late evening is so nice, much calmer(less people) and more of the wildlife is out, too.

It's a great way to let my mind wander along with my feet and I find I get a lot of ideas this way.

Mahala Mazerov said...

Lovely, Susan. Thank you for being part of the Summer of Loving Kindness.

It's been too hot here, too. I'm looking forward to going to Sapsucker Woods, my favorite oasis. It's a bird sanctuary of sorts, created by Cornell University.

Stacy said...

Naps are the best! I love walking, too. Lately I've noticed how good I feel the next morning after walking.

Susan Gallacher-Turner said...

Mahala...it's been so helpful to be part of Summer of Loving Kindness...you've done a great job of enlightening us all. Hope you get out to the woods soon!

Susan Gallacher-Turner said...

Stacy,
I know what you mean, only when I notice it is when I don't get my walks in...my body is sure to tell me about it.

Now, for those naps...I'm going to have to practice that soon!