Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Otter and family - In the Park



I've been waiting all year, watching the lake with care for the arrival of our visiting otters. Now, they're here! And they brought the kids, ok, pups. Even though they arrived several months later than last year, I don't care. I'm just excited to see these cute and wily characters swimming and fishing.

River Otters inhabit small lakes and streams in and around Oregon. Otters weigh between 20-30 pounds are about 2 feet long with tails about 20". Their whiskers, cute little ears and squared off nose give them an almost puppy dog look. According to the information I found, Mama otters take care of the pups with Papa only involved in the breeding part. And most litters are 2 to 3 pups born around April, so this would be about the right time for them to getting out of the den with Mama. So maybe, it's not Papa at all, then who is it?

It's hard to get close to where they're swimming, if there are too many people walking around the lake, they hide.

So I was very happy to catch a few pictures. The photo at the top, is 'Papa', I think cleaning himself after a fishy feast. And this one is his partner, 'Mama', swimming along the bank. And I did spy a few small, very dark little otter shapes bouncing in and around the edge of the island while Mama was swimming in the water. But, alas, I didn't have my camera that day.

4 comments:

Stacy said...

Oh, that's so cool! How lucky you are to have river otters. I have only seen one once in British Coumbia. We have otters in the bay here and they are sure cute.

Ruby's Raiser said...

Oh, otter pups! Just the thought makes me smile. :)

Susan Gallacher-Turner said...

Stacy...
I've seen your bay otters when I visited a few years back, they were so amazing and cute, too.

Susan Gallacher-Turner said...

Your Ruby in the sailor hat gives me a giggle every time! So, I'm glad my post made you smile, too!