Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Dahlias in June?


I can't believe it either, but I have the pictures to prove it. My purple dahlia shot up during all the rain we had in May and early June and is now blooming! I'm not a master gardener, but even I know that there's something wrong with this picture.


Dahlias normally bloom in late August or early September. I always look forward to those big, fluffy blooms around my wedding anniversary in September every year. So when the plant shot up in May and bloomed this last week, I was shocked. Especially since my peony blooms are still struggling to open at all.

I've had several more experienced gardeners tell me to dead head the bloom immediately, so I'll still have a plant and blooms in the fall. So I did take quite a few inside today, but I'm having a hard time just cutting it all back.

If you're an experienced gardener, please let me know what you think is happening here and what I need to do.

2 comments:

Stacy said...

I know next to nothing about gardening other than how to re-pot a plant and water it (and sometimes I get that wrong), but those early dahlias seem like a nice treat. Or is it not good that they bloomed so early? Your garden always looks so nice and inviting. Hope you are enjoying the long weekend, Susan.

Susan Gallacher-Turner said...

I agree they seem like a nice treat especially when my peonies never opened up due to rain, but I hear that if I don't do something, I won't have dahlias to enjoy in the fall. I'm a newbie gardener and what lessons I've learned have been by doing the wrong thing, too. So I ask for advice from the more experienced and follow on it.

I am enjoying the weekend. And what a nice gift that is for sure. Hope you had a great weekend, too!