Monday, June 14, 2010

He Did It! - Mom's Mission Accomplished



Yesterday, my son Kyle graduated from college! He received a BS in Community Development from Portland State University. I'm proud of him and all the hard work he's done to earn his degree.

It's been a bit of a winding road for him, my husband and I. He started out looking at University of Oregon for a degree in music. He played percussion in middle school and high school jazz bands, quads in the marching band and winning regional awards for his own compositions. Then he decided he wanted an engineering degree from OSU but after his first year, found that wasn't for him. The next year, he entered PSU thinking of a degree in business and he did ok. But it was a class in community development and urban planning that re-ignited his passion.

In addition to music, he was always building and drawing and planning as a kid. He loved his legos and blocks. Even his preschool teacher watching him build a hotel with wooden blocks commented that one day he would be building for real. The urban planning and community development classes have used his design and building talents. It's developed his love for the land and wildlife and how people, business and the environment can live better together. I'm looking forward to seeing what he'll be doing to make our city more beautiful and sustainable.

He's had to work hard to get where he is today. Studying and working part time and trying to have a normal college life can be a difficult juggling act. It's been stressful for him and us, at times. Since he's been living at home some of the time, I've had the opportunity to help him through the rough spots. Even when it was hard to see him struggle, I'm glad I could be there for him.

In the last month, my husband and I have worked even harder to help him make it to the finish line. Sometimes that meant simple things like making his favorite sandwich or picking him up at campus. Sometimes it was just listening to his worries and stress. Sometimes it was just giving him words of encouragement.

Small things, really. They don't add up to much. But I was just glad to be able to help him a little to accomplish the goal he wanted so much: a college degree. You see, he didn't think he could do it( I knew he could). Now he knows that not only did he do it, but he can do whatever he decides to do. And that, is the biggest accomplishment of all.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Congrats to your son! You must be so proud. That is an interesting degree-- I haven't heard of it. Thank goodness for people like your son who love land and wildlife. It kills me watching gorgeous pieces of land destroyed so that an oversized hardware store can go in.