Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Time.


Most of the year, I spend my time in the studio. Throwing. Carving. Painting. Glazing. I have a routine and a rhythm to my days and weeks.  Months fly by and then the holidays arrive.  I used to try to do it all: studio work and the holidays all at once. It didn't work too well. Both my art and my family suffered. ​
Time to relax.

Not easy for me, ever. I'm dedicated, organized and hard working.  From decorating and baking to wrapping and standing in line at target, the holidays require all of those skills. A friend said to me one day, just because you can do it, doesn't mean you have to.  Every year, I catch myself racing around and I always have to re-realize that I can't do it all, all of the time.

Time to slow down.

Time to Sit. Savor. Walk and watch.  Laugh. Hug. Sing and dance.

During the holidays, time moves from slow to fast, days disappears into years in the blink of an eye. One Christmas you have toddlers, then teens and suddenly adults with homes of their own. Where did it go? 

Now is the only time to be in because time just disappears so fast. Except, of course, when you're in line at a store and you're in a hurry. Then, time screeches to a halt.

Time to enjoy it anyway.













No comments: