Monday, February 12, 2024

Moving with Love

 


I can’t believe it, February is here! I love looking for the hints of spring peeking out all around on my walks around the park. And it’s almost Valentine’s Day. I’ll admit, I love hearts and flowers and chocolate, so this is one of my favorite times of year.


But with all I’ve been through this year, it’s feeling a little different. I’m taking things a bit slower.  I’m rushing less and resting more. I’m enjoying both the comfort of my sunny nook and the calm of my studio. 


Making is my form of zen. 



Whether I’m baking, crocheting or working with clay, I’m in my happy place. In the last few weeks, I’ve been underglazing and bisque firing. First, I add a layer of color and some details to my pieces and bisque fire them. Then, I add washes to each piece so the details stand out and fire them again.




There’s something so soothing about laying the black wash on each piece. Then after they dry, wiping it away to reveal the intricate details. Today, I loaded the kiln for the second firing to set the underglazes. 



Moving on gently. 


One thing I’m learning this year is patience. It’s never been my strong suit, I’ll admit. I’ve always walked fast and pushed myself to do more and more. But now I know, I need to listen to my body more and not my head. Instead of moving to a busy bee voice, I need to move with gentleness and care and love.   


Watching the black underglaze flow

Seeking and filling every little vein of the leaf

Revealing nature’s hidden designs

Slows me and shows me the depth of life

In this month of love, perhaps, it’s time to show some to myself. 





No comments: