Thursday, May 29, 2014

Digital Drawing: Yellow and Purple.



It's been a while since I've played with my SketchClub ap and stylus.  So when Terry's blog popped up about yellow, I was inspired.  

I looked out my window the other night and saw this amazing sunset.  Dark heavy rain clouds pushed aside revealing a brilliant yellow sunset.  The clouds were more a deep ultramarine to payne's grey color, but somehow, in my translation the clouds turned into deep purple and violet.  I kept struggling to get the color I saw, but finally, had to give in and go with the flow.

Here's my first sunset.  I can feel my struggle here to get the colors...right.  There's a lack of contrast in the value changes, I think.  It feels, blah.

My second one (at the top of this post) has deeper clouds, embracing the purple tones and the complimentary palate.  There's more contrast here, deeper clouds against the bright sunset.  I feel both strength and lightness.  
Today, admiring my amazing crop of Peonies this year, I decided to try something new for me.  I took a photo, put it on one layer, then painted over it.  Yes, it's purple popping up again, not sure why.  But playing with the fill layer, I could change the background color from light to bright, yellow to black and anything in between.  It was fun to play with feature.  My finger just kept going back to yellow, so this time, I went with the flow.

Ah. Ha. There's that word of the year creeping in again...flow.  Isn't that what art is all about? No, not the struggle, although, I admit to feeling that tussle a lot.  But what I've come to believe and know and now, embrace...is the ebb and flow that is the essence of creation.  

No comments: