Thursday, October 25, 2012

Life, Travel and Yoga = Health and Happiness.


I do yoga. I started because my legs, back and jaw ached. It helped. So I kept doing it. I take classes and I do it on my own before my walk in the morning and sometimes before bed. I feel better when I do it. It seems I am not alone.

Brian Leaf, the author of “Misadventures of a Garden State Yogi, started doing yoga in college. He found that the more yoga he did, the better he felt. It helped heal his colitis, calmed his nerves, helped him avoid the debate team and find his way to happiness. For Leaf, it involved a lot of different types of yoga classes, a van, a roadtrip and ultimately to studying yoga, meditation and Ayurveda.

Here, in his own words, is what Brian Leaf learned:
“From yoga, I learned how to stand and how to breathe.
From yoga’s sister science, Ayurveda, I learned how to eat, how to poop, and how to sleep.
From meditation and Kripalu yoga, I learned to awaken my feelings and my intuition.
And from Jerry Garcia, Misha the yogi, and a scary shaman named Genevieve, I learned to emote, to connect, and to love.”

I like the open, honest, conversational writing style in this memoir. I agree with Brian that honesty is, indeed, the best way to live a good life. So, I must admit that the travel section was a long, winded and winding road that I decided to not travel to the end.

I do want to share one golden nugget from the book that I honestly believe in.
Here are 6 of Brian’s 8 Keys to Happiness:
“Do Yoga. And if you already do yoga, do more yoga.”
“Follow your heart.”
“Cultivate and follow your intuition.”
“Meditate.”
“Connect with your heart and interact with others from that place.”
“Speak and act from your true self.”

I do agree. When I do yoga, I do feel better. So why not do more? I have followed my heart many times in my life and the only time I’ve been wrong is when I failed to follow. If you’ve never done yoga and need a light hearted, personal guide, try traveling the road with Brian Leaf in “Misadventures of a Garden State Yogi.” It just might help you find your own road to happiness.




Brian Leaf, M.A. is the author of Misadventures of a Garden State Yogi. He draws upon twenty-one years of intensive study, practice, and teaching of yoga, meditation, and holistic health. Visit him online at http://www.Misadventures-of-a-Yogi.com.




No comments: