Sunday, June 12, 2011

Sometimes things have to come apart to come together.



I’m working on a variety of projects lately. New sculptures in the studio. Clay wheel pieces in class. Crochet and screening mask for an online group show. Writing essays and a short story. Some days, it feels good, life flowing from one area to another. Other days, it feels bumpy and lumpy. And I wonder then, will anything ever come together, let alone get finished.


Getting from start to finish, as any artist or writer knows, is not a straight line. I don’t know about you, but sometimes, I’d just like to get from A to Z without all the fits, starts, zigs and zags. But that just isn’t the way it goes. What really gets it to go?

Falling apart. Picking up the pieces and putting it together. Clay chunk by clay chunk, word by word, crochet stitch by stitch. Concentrating on just that one small action creates, in time, a whole, finished piece.

Right now, these pieces are, in pieces. But I do know, with all my heart and soul that they are coming together. Day by day in their own way.

No comments: