Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Blog-cation: Road Trip


I really needed to leave it all behind…studio, work, home, children and even my beloved dog, Jilly. It was time for an adventure for both my husband and I. See new places. Map our way through unfamiliar territory. Enjoy long periods of the silence and the changing landscapes of the open road.


My husband and I have always wanted to see the Grand Canyon. He suggested taking the trip a few years back, but with all the changes we were experiencing then, an adventure into another unknown was not appealing.

What I didn’t know then, was that he’s wanted to trek to both Bryce and Grand Canyon for decades. And even though he was in the marines, stationed in Yuma, Arizona, he never made it there. So, when I mentioned a few weeks ago that we could take the trip, he was ready to pack up and leave within days. I held him off a week to do a little planning, like book hotel rooms near the national parks, get maps and AAA trip planner at least. Good thing we planned a little because the hotels and parks were crowded with people even though they’d just opened for the season.

Although we had 2 cell phones, 2 laptops, 2 digital cameras, an iPod, and gps with us, we didn’t use them much at all.

What did we rely on? The printed AAA trip and park maps were our main guides. The cell phones got used as additional cameras for the most part with a few calls to check in with kids and dogs. If we listened to music at all, we used the car’s CD player but on the way back, we relied on local radio. What was even better was hearing live local voices talking about live local events in the towns we passed through along with great music.

I thought I’d blog along the way, but it just didn’t happen. What happened was a lot of looking out the window. Watching rolling hills, mountains, valleys, high desert plateaus, canyons, cities and farmlands in Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Arizona, Nevada and California pass by with rain, snow, sunshine and temperatures ranging from 30 to 88 degrees.

I’ll be posting more about the trip with pictures and journal snippets, now that I’m back from my blog-cation.

No comments: