Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A Walk In The Park

It's a mixed day, today.  There's some sun, a few clouds, a chilly wind and patches of puddles.  I think the weather fits my mood.

I feel glad.  A sunny spot has opened inside my heart and I find myself just smiling.  Somewhere in there is a small spot of, dare I say it, happiness again.  A little nugget of goodness that I can carry with me.  I also feel concerned, a little patch of sadness and worry clouding my soul touched every now and then by a burst of chilly wind.

It's been a difficult few years and my life has been as unpredictable as the weather.  Many periods of clouds and rain interspersed with days of hopeful sunshine and blue sky.  Of course, I've experienced weather like this in my life before, but like many of us, this recession has been hard.

As I walk past the lake, the geese are gearing up with their pre-flight honking.  I'm always amused by their group dynamics.  It always reminds me of a large, loud committee meeting with everyone talking at once and no one listening.  And there's always lots of honking discussion before they take off from the lake.  Finally, the geese are up in the air and my dog, Jilly and I stop to watch as one half of the group flies over the bridge, the other half flies under it. 

I see their flight path is like my life lately.  There have been some big obstacles in my path.  But like the geese, I am taking off anyway.  Whether I'm flying under or over, I'm still crossing the bridges and getting past the obstacles in my path.  Life is good.

4 comments:

Stacy said...

That park looks like one close to my home in California that is always filled with geese. For some reason those geese have a special place in my heart. My dad calls them "honker boys" and the name just stuck.

I'm glad you are feeling that nugget of joy. I can relate to your post so much-- the last few year have been challenging. Your words remind me of the poem "Wild Geese" by Mary Oliver.

Susan Gallacher-Turner said...

I know what you mean, those geese are really amazing and have a special place in my heart, too. I'm hoping that you're feeling a little nugget of joy, too in the midst of all the challenges.

I'm so glad you made it over to my new blog!
Susan

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

A lovely, peaceful picture representing your mood. We have a saying here when something is in the way, bothering; build a bridge and get over it. Have a nice weekend. T.

Susan Gallacher-Turner said...

Titania,
Lovely saying...so true, too.

It's important to remember that isn't it? That when somethings blocking us, or in the way, we can get over it...we're not really stuck. We just have to build a bridge for ourselves! Yes!!

Thanks for the wise saying.
Susan