Friday, October 14, 2016

Welcome to My Sacred Place: My Studio.


I work alone.  And I like it.  As an artist, my studio is not a home office but a sacred, meditative space where I let an air of warm comfort surround and guide me. Usually, people see my finished work out of my studio at shows and galleries. But once a year, I let people come into my studio space and watch me work.

I love my solitude, but I love open studios.

Yes, I do a lot of prep work getting ready for the open studio weekend.  Floors get cleaned.  Shelves get dusted.  Work gets moved around into more of a display rather than shelves of disarray.  I bring my work out of the studio into my home space too, so visitors can see what art looks like 'at home'.  So often when art is seen in a show setting, it's hard to imagine how it would look or feel in your own home.  The interesting thing, is seeing my own pieces around my own home inspires me to create more in the studio.

And best of all is show and tell. 

I love talking to people about clay and art and color.  I love seeing their eyes light up when they pick up a ball of clay, roll it around and out.  As I show them how I build a vase from a clay slab, I tell them how I found my way to clay.  I listen as they tell me their stories, too.  

Creation is sacred right for all of us.  

I show and tell everyone, no matter where you are in life, you can create something you love.  There are as many forms of art as there are people in the world.  Everyone is creative.  No matter how you might have thought you failed, don't give up. Your creative spirit is there waiting for you.  All you have to do, is ask it to find you.  

I always hope that opening up my studio will help others find their own sacred space.

No comments: