Thursday, June 26, 2014

Welcome Zucchini and Summertime!



You know it's really summer when there is zucchini in the garden.  Inspired by my daughter's question about what to do with too much grated zucchini, I created this dinner.  I've been asked for the recipe, so here it is.
But first, a confession: I've done a lot of things in my life (and plan to do much more, hopefully) and one of those is foods and nutrition training.  That involved learning about the chemistry of foods and test kitchen-like lab training.  When I want to make something I haven't made before, I figure out the basic method.  In this case it's a pancake with savory components.  Then research related recipes, hone in on what I have at hand or want to use, and make my own recipe version.

Hope you like it!!
Zucchini and Shrimp Fritters
Three small zucchini grated
1/4 red onion chopped fine
1-1/2 cups frozen pre-cooked large shrimp thawed and chopped 
2 eggs beaten 
3/4 cup flour
1/2-1 cup quarto frommiagio cheese (ok, it was about a handful)
Salt
Pepper
Dill weed(two to three shakes of the spice jar, maybe 2 tsp)

Place zucchini and onion in colander, toss with 2 tsp salt and let sit to drain. 
Thaw shrimp in small colander under warm water. Then chop.
Press excess water out of zucchini.  Place in bowl, add shrimp, egg, salt, pepper, dill and mix.  Add flour and gently mix with fork. Add cheese, mix.  Chill for about an hour.
Heat non stick skillet with 2 Tbsp olive oil on medium heat. Drop spoonfuls of fritter mix to pan.  Fry each side about 5 minutes or until golden brown.  I had about 4 in pan at once. Took them out and put in another batch.  Makes about 8 3" fritters.
Serve on bed of spinach with drizzle of sour cream or whole cream yogurt. Enjoy!!

No comments: