Saturday, June 22, 2013

Homecoming.




This weekend, I am showing my functional and sculptural work in the Lake Oswego Festival of the Arts open show.   What I love about this show is that it’s open to everyone.  Anyone from high school art students to professional artists to grandparents can enter the show just by showing up with their art. You fill out your forms, write your check and stand in line to get checked in.  As long as your work has appropriate picture hanging hardware and you have a check, you’re in.

I love it. 

Even though, I’ve shown my work across the northwest for over a decade, I always look forward to this show.  As I walk through the tent, I see over 2,000 big and small works of art created right in my own ‘home’ town.    

I’m inspired.  
 


A long time ago, I was one of those art visitors walking through this show admiring art that I didn’t ever think I could make.  Then, as a high school student at Lake Oswego High School, I rebelled and took an art class.  I drew and painted and practiced calligraphy and make a mug.  That mug,  not only made it into the student show at the Lake Oswego Festival of the Arts.  It won an award.

I’m grateful.

This show was a major turning point for me.  I discovered that I could do more than math and science.  I discovered a lifelong love: art.   And every year, I get to pack up my art and come home.

 

4 comments:

Caiti said...

Beautiful! I love that there is such a wonderful festival with a long history of being dedicated to celebrating art!

Susan Gallacher-Turner said...

It's an amazing feat every year!

Susan Gallacher-Turner said...

It's an amazing feat every year!

Susan Gallacher-Turner said...

It's an amazing feat every year!