Saturday, May 19, 2012

Clay in process.

I love clay. I love wedging it, throwing it, coiling it and sculpting it. I thought I’d show a few pieces going through the stages from throwing, sculpting and under glaze.

Here are a few pictures from ‘throwing day’. These are jars, vases and cup right off the wheel.
And now, with hand built leaves and pulled handles.


Now, with under glaze applied and ready for bisque firing.


How these will turn out after the final glaze is the big question. I’ve learned that under glazes don’t always turn out the same color from cone 06 to cone 6 and clear glazes can change the color a lot. It’s a bit frustrating to have a vision of how the piece will turn out only to have the glazes behave differently.

There are things I can control and things I can’t. I know that’s part of the process.

No comments: