Monday, February 27, 2023

Restore



While my word of the year is still, enjoy, new words are popping up all around me. These three words came from  a wonderful free, online gathering with Tara Mohr. Reclaim. Restore. Reimagine. I felt an instant connection with all three. 


And at first, I focused on reimagine as a way to get myself back on the creative track. But it didn’t seem to work. The harder I tried to ‘reimagine’ the further away things seemed. I journaled and doodled and crocheted, but my imagining got me nowhere. 


Giving in isn’t giving up. 


I knew what I had to do: give in. Trying and pushing and thinking was not the way to get my creative train moving. So I gave up. I stopped pushing. I gave up trying. And although, it’s really  hard for me to not do it, I didn’t think through everything around me. 



I stared out the window. I watched the snow fall and the sky change and the day move. And I got it. Just by looking across the room at the wall. 


What’s in the word restore?

 

The word REST. Yup. Duh. Hello? What I really needed to get my creative juices moving? REST! And then, to wait for the ORE, which is defined as the metal substance that lies within a rock. Gold is an example of an ore. What is gold? Precious metal that lies hidden within a rough, hard surface. And it takes time for it to change into gold. 


I had to laugh. And then, I reprinted the word like this: REST ore. 


Laughing and moving on. 



Sometimes, I just don’t see what’s right in front of me. But as I once told my kids when they were pointing out the obvious problem in a friends life: it’s always easy to see the forest for the trees in someone else’s forest. 


Suddenly, I had energy. I knew what I wanted to do next. So I got out my sandpaper and wax and got those Lily vases on my shelf ready for glazing. Then the next day, I woke up energized and ready to glaze.



Next thing I knew, the kiln was full and ready to fire. Voila. 



New Lily Vases.  New Luminaires.  New ‘Wish’ Bowls 



I’m glad I saw the trees, finally. And all it took, was time to RESTore. Try it and see for yourself. 

No comments: