Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Hello February!

 


Wow, you’re here already! Even though the groundhog saw his shadow, meaning six more weeks of winter, I see small signs of spring. Little buds and more green are popping out. The birds are flying around and calling to each other. I know I might be overly optimistic but I’ve decided to enjoy it anyway. 


And remember, enjoy is my word of the year. What are you seeing that you enjoy? It might be a nice hot cup of tea while you look out the window at a chilly blue sky. 


Cooking clay. 



One of the most important parts of working in ceramics is kiln firing. I’d like to say, I enjoy it but I’d be lying. It’s stressful for me. I worry about loading each piece correctly. Firing the kiln for the right amount of time. The waiting and not knowing is hard. 


What do I enjoy? All the bright colors popping out. Feeling the clay change from wet to dry, heavy to light. Seeing new pieces stand on their own almost finished. 



Especially seeing new experiments come to life. 


Throwing things. 


There are many ways to work in clay. I love slab building and throwing. I started out doing slab building because I’d failed at wheel throwing. But I faced my failure and fears and now I love to throw things. 

 

I throw teacups, bowls and mugs. But it’s been hard to get back in the groove since our flooded home restoration. 





And today’s throwing day was more about getting my area set up again. Getting my chair in the right place. Fixing my floor props for my feet and pedal. I was frustrated. But once my hands were in that wet clay, it all went away. I really enjoyed throwing bowls. I don’t know why but bowls are my favorite. 





Enjoy Today.



Believe me, I know life is not always sunny. Just like the clouds change outside my window, so does life. As I get older, I want to see more, create more and love more. How do I do that? How do you do that? I think the answer is simple. 


Enjoy. 

Right now, this minute. 

Breathe it in. Sip it in. 

Or throw some clay. 

Whatever it is, enjoy your day. 

No comments: