Saturday, December 10, 2022

Making it merry. Again.

 


It’s been a difficult few years, right? And I’ll admit, I wasn’t sure how I’d feel about this holiday season. So much has changed in our world, cities and homes. If you’ve been reading here, you’ll know my home has been through a lot of changes. Some bad. And some good. That’s why it was even more important to me this year to make it all merry, again. 

Most of my downstairs due to water damage has been completely reconstructed. All the floors, counter tops, cabinetry and wall colors have changed. So using the decorations from previous years was a challenge. Some fit. Some didn’t. 


Tweaking the tree. 


Before we even set up the tree, I knew I’d need to change my color scheme. With the burgundy wall painted grey and the mantle painted black, it was time for new ideas. 


White reindeers now sit along the mantle driven by a black sleigh surrounded by white trees. 



Bold black and white check bows went on the wreath and stairway. 



More black and white check ribbon encircled the re-usable tree. 


The challenge: Do more with less.  


Before the reconstruction, we used to have more room. The nook hutch was taken out and the demolished old desk area shelves were deeper and wider. The new combined cabinet and desk area is beautiful. But it gave me a lot less display space than before. I was determined to find a new way to do more with less. 



Childhood Christmas books found a new place alongside a newly edited Santa collection. The teapot collection still features the Spode teapot alongside just a few teacups and teapots.



Finding new ways to use old favorites. 


The change from a white tile island to a black quartz countertop is a big one. But it does work with the new black, white and red theme, too. And my white porcelain leaf, jars in red, white and black and the red porcelain bowl keep the island looking merry and bright.



White and red poinsettias look good by the sink. 



Yes, the house was flooded and broken. 

But now, it’s all reconstructed and redone.

And I’m so grateful.   

We are all well and together. 

And making it merry. 

Again. 

  




No comments: