Sunday, December 18, 2022

A Joyful December Birthday

 






Growing up, my birthday was never really mine. My Dad’s birthday was two days after mine, so it made sense to do a combined celebration. The dinner, gifts, cake and candles were always shared. 


The dinner was my dad’s pick: pork, potatoes and peas. None of them were my favorite. As a child I hated pork and peas. The cake was a mix from a box: white cake and chocolate frosting. Again, not my favorite.  


In my family, everyone got their pick of dinner and dessert for their birthday, except me. Don’t get me wrong, I loved my Dad. But as a child, I always felt a little cheated while I watched my brothers get everything they wanted for their birthday dinners. 


Let me eat cake!




This year, I had my very first ‘made for me’ birthday cake! My darling daughter asked me what kind of cake I wanted. Then she went to work creating a cake just for me. 


It was beautifully decorated with her own homemade fondant and inside was a rich, dark chocolate cake with melt in your mouth frosting. She crafted the outside in white fondant with black and white dots. Inside was a rich, dark chocolate cake with chocolate espresso filling.


A tale of three birthday dinners. 


My husband took me out to dinner for my birthday. At a local restaurant, I had a delicious halibut and bites of his steak with lovely red wine. On my birthday, day, my son made me a wonderful traditional pot roast dinner. 



Later in my birthday week, my husband fixed me this favorite dinner: lamb, baked potato with sour cream and broccoli. My sweet Gram used to make this dinner especially for me. And it always made me feel so loved. Another day, I had cake for breakfast!




Non Christmas flowers.

I love plants and flowers around this time of year: poinsettias, Christmas cactus, pine wreaths and rosemary trees. And I love filling my home with the colors and scents of the season. But I don’t consider them my birthday flowers. 


My true favorites were delivered by my true love. My husband arrived home with bundles of red and white long stem roses! Filling the vases with these beauties was such a joy. 


December is a joyful time

But it was made even more wonderful this year 

With food, flowers and a cake 

From my husband, son and daughter

All for me on my birthday. 

No comments: