Thursday, December 7, 2023

Letting The Light In

 


It’s that time of year when the sun sets early and it gets dark. I admit, I don’t like it. It makes me crave my tea and cookies which I do like, of course. The turning of the earth and the winter season brings many feelings to the surface for all of us. 


This year has brought many challenges from lay offs to fighting for 6 months to get social security and medical benefits. It’s been a scary roller coaster ride but now, thankfully, the dust is settling and my anxiety is easing. 


Small comforts and joys. 



I worried about the Holiday season this year. Would we have to cut back on all the things we usually do? How would we manage gifts and stockings for all? One thing I have come to know is we are not alone this year. Many people are facing a different holiday season: inflation pushing up prices and salaries are down or gone. 


I wasn’t looking forward to decorating at all. But here’s what I found out: I can still feel comfort and joy. 


The wreath I made years ago, still looks joyful on the hall table. 



The Christmas books we’ve read to our children and now grandchildren are still fun to share. 



The stockings have grown to include new babies and spouses. 



And this year, we’re filling them with homemade treats and handmade decorations. 




Light and lightening up. 


The lights on the tree give me the boost I need in the darkening afternoon.  Sitting in the nook next to my best friend and husband, I breathe in the light of our love. While some things have changed drastically for us, our relationship has not. 


In fact, right now as I write this blog, he is writing his podcast. We are both healthy and active and creative on our own and together. 



Yes, we have to lighten up our gift giving this year. 

But the light we share is still there.

For each other, for our children, grandchildren and friends. 

What I have to do everyday is remember:

To let it in. 


No comments: