Tuesday, January 10, 2023

2023 Word of the Year: Enjoy

 


I’ve been doing a word of the year since 2010. I didn’t realize it’s been 13 years! And maybe that’s why it’s taken me a while to come up with this year’s word. With over a dozen good words already in the past, it was a bit of a struggle to come up with another one. 


I saw the real question going through my head was, why? Why do I feel the need to have a new word for the new year? Maybe after 13 years, I’ve used all the good ones? Maybe I don’t need one anymore? Then why did I have such a long list?



13 wise words in 13 years. 


Here’s a list of the past Words of the Year:

Freedom

Trust

Strength

Live

Flow, Faith

Curiosity

Hope

Understanding

Believe

Act

Heal

Shine


I can clearly see how these words helped me through my life. Some gave me a light to follow through dark times. Some supported me. Some encouraged me. Some asked me to try new ideas or feelings. Others sparked new creative ideas. 



The last 4 words from 2019 to 2022 inspired me to create word bowls. I used the word of the year in the bowl, then surrounded it with ways to use it in daily life. Each bowl could be a little guide to follow with your cereal in the morning. Or support you at your desk at work or your coffee table at home. 


Which word now?


Making some new bowls in December, a new word appeared: wish. I thought, great! Here’s my word of the year. But as the month went on I wasn’t sure. 



While I let it sit in the background, some phrases popped up: Fresh Start and Take My Life Back. After Covid, quarantine and our home’s flood these phrases seemed like good guides for the new year.


But I wanted a word. So like I always do, I made a list. The long list boiled down to five good words: wish, breathe, create, joy and enjoy. I was leaning toward wish, since I’d already started two new bowls. Then one morning I woke from a dream where a woman reached out and tapped me on the arm and said, “Enjoy it a little.”


Wise words. 

Yes, some days are stressful and scary. 

But quickly days turn into months and years. 

Maybe just for today, I can enjoy it a little. 

No comments: