Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Empty bowls fill the Oregon Food Bank



Portland is known for its Fourth of July Blues Festival. Big name groups from all over the world come to play on the Waterfront and people line up to get into the park every year. This year was different for me.

I volunteered to sell bowls, cups, vases for the Oregon Potters Association's Empty Bowls booth. The proceeds from this booth are donated to the Oregon Food Bank. As I helped set up on Tuesday, I was amazed and a bit overwhelmed at the amount of pottery ready for sale. Little bowls sold for as little as a dollar and up.

What amazed me even more was that every box, and there were stacks of boxes, was emptied to fill the Oregon Food Banks fund. This wonderful booth was stocked from Wednesday, July 4th through Sunday, July 9th with ceramics from the members of the OPA and glass from the Oregon Glass Guild.



Bill and Sandy Sanchez were the real heros, working the booth all 5 days with the help of many OPA and Glass Guild members. It was a great cause and a great group of artists working hard to help others.

I helped unpack, price, stock, sell and wrap up purchases. I enjoy every minute of it. This was an amazing way to spend the 4th of July! Can't wait till next year!!

No comments: