Friday, April 23, 2010

More fun with clay - In the Studio


Smooshing and pinching. Smoothing and carving. I love clay. This week, I made a new face in my new clay series...what it's going to be called, I don't know. Right now, that's not the point. The point is to roll out the clay, start a face and keep going. Knowing where exactly I'm going will come later...when I've gotten wherever that is.

So roll out the clay, I did. Smoosh. Fold. Pinch. Carve. It's not all fun and games, especially when the clay starts to crack. But, it's all fixable and flexible and that's one of the many wonders of clay.

Carving came on a face that I started a few weeks ago. I decided I wanted to do a relief effect of an oak leaf, so I started scraping and carving away at the clay until I got the a shallow relief. What I'll do with that, again, I don't know. It just felt right to do it.

Again, that's all part of the process and the fun of it, isn't it?

No comments: