Friday, October 7, 2016

Changing Seasons.



Fall always creeps up on me.  Usually, I cringe away or dig into denial or force myself to embrace it.  But it's not really Fall's fault that I struggle so hard with this one season.  

It's change.

As an artist and writer and a person who spent my career in advertising, you'd think I'd love change.  I've changed and re-arranged my life many times over.  My work, my home, my media, my mind changes moment by moment and year to year. 

The really truth: change is scary.  It doesn't matter if it's a big or small change, either.  For example: I just bought a new couch.  Not a big deal, right?  It was for me and, it turns out, for my kids as well.  We've had the great room sectional for over 20 years and my 'kids' grew up on that sectional.  It's wasn't just a piece of furniture, it was a part of our lives. 

Now that my children are all grown up and have children of their own, it was time to make a change.  I ordered a new sofa and waited nervously for it to arrive.  Would it be the right size? Color? Would I like it in the room as much as the family sectional?  

I love it.  Many times, change is really a good thing.  It may be good right away or it may become a very good thing in time. This time, it was a good change for everyone, especially my son, who is now happily sitting and watching TV on his 'family' sectional.

It's new.  It's exciting.  It's challenging.

Changing with life in all its seasons is challenging.  Sometimes the new is exciting, but whether it is or not, like the Fall season, it comes anyway.  Morning into night. Planned or unplanned.  Everyday turns in its own rhythm.  Whether I create my own change in my art and life or not, I'm learning to settle in and breathe into it.  

One I make happen.  One happens and remakes me.

Just as the green leaves turn to gold and fall.  So must we.

No comments: