Thursday, August 18, 2016

A Study in Contrasts.


This last week, I traveled from Portland to Los Angeles.  Flying home with the sun setting into the ocean, I was captivated by the bird's eye view.  The changes in the landscape below me was an ongoing study in contrasts.

All different.  And all the same.  

Buildings, houses, schools and shopping malls began and ended the flight.  In between, were large expanses of green fields growing food.  There were wide rivers, flowing lakes and forests.  Brown mountains stretched for miles and miles looking like sculpted, brushed copper in the setting sun. Then came greener and greener mounds as I flew closer to Portland.  I was struck by the expanse of the world below me that I only get to see in bits and pieces in my daily life.  

Oregonians vs Californians.    

California and Oregon may share the same ocean but that's probably about all.  Our two states are very different in many ways. And while that's fine, it's sometimes really funny.

Freeway driving speeds:
Portland:55
LA: 75

Freeway turn signals mean:
Portland:  "Hi, there!  I'd like to change lanes, please."  
LA:  "Look out! I'm moving over!!"

Going out to dinner:
Portland:  Let's walk to the local pub.
LA: Take two freeways, 1 hour by car, wait 20 minutes for a table.

TGIF:
Portland = Thank God It's Friday
LA = Thank God I'm Fabulous

What can I say?  I'm who I am and they are who they are.  It's not good or bad.  Now it's time for something completely different. And that contrast is what makes the world the wonderfully creative place for all of us.  











No comments: