Thursday, April 17, 2014

As The Wheel Turns: Deadlines.




​Deadlines loom.  There's a photo shoot scheduled for next week and a big ceramics show in two weeks.  i need my new work finished and ready for the photographer and the show.  

As of last week, I had six masks, a small sculpture to finish to meet the deadlines.  There were design decisions to be made.  Painting to be done.  Metal masks to create.   Hanging hardware to be attached.  In addition, there were new greenware pieces that needed triming and underglazing, even though they won't make these deadlines, the process must go on.

I admit, I had my doubts.  But, then, I always do.  

I fell asleep counting things to do and woke up early still counting.  Of course, the list expanded in the night and somehow no matter what I got done in the studio, there was still more to do.  Somethings worked and others, well, caused even more work than I thought they would.  I don't know about you but I always seem to underestimate how long it takes to get somethings done.  

But, I kept working even in my sleep(or so it seemed).

I sculpted aluminum masks.  Mixed up epoxy.  Printed labels. Mounted D-rings and wrapped wire and attached labels.  I re-painted one mask completely due to some mysterious scratches.  Maybe it was the aluminum or maybe I was sleep working.

Magically, things got done.

Today, new masks hang on my studio walls.  
Sculptures, mugs, vases, bowls are stacked on shelves.  


They are all ready for their close ups, Mr. Photographer.  And, hopefully, to delight someone and find new homes.  Once, I get the price labels on, inventory done, pieces packed and delivered and set up at the show...


No comments: