Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Soup for the soul.



And it's good for colds and flu, too.

I'm an artist, not a chef.  But, I do love cooking and find it creative, calming and fulfilling.  It's good for the body and mind especially this week with a cold/flu going through the house.  Nothing soothes a stuffy head better than soup.  This week, I came up with two new ones that I thought I'd share.   The big bonus: both soups are quick and easy using a combination of fresh ingredients, leftovers from other dinners and store bought helpers.
Creamy Alfredo Pesto Chicken Soup
1 jar Trader Joe's Alfredo Sauce
1 box Trader Joe's Organic Chicken Broth
2 cups dry Orecchiette pasta
1 cup chopped cooked carrots
1-2 cups chopped cooked chicken 
1/4 cup homemade pesto sauce
2-3 cloves garlic chopped 
2 Tbsp olive oil
Cook and drain the pasta.  Heat the olive oil in cast iron soup pot and saute garlic 2-3 minutes.  Add Alfredo Sauce, chicken broth, pesto and stir until blended.  Add carrots, chicken, pasta and simmer for 30 minutes. Serve.
Pot Roast Soup 
2-3 cups left over pot roast, carrots and potatoes or beef stew
1 box Trader Joe's beef broth
2-3 cloves garlic chopped
2 Tbsp olive oil
Optional additions - barley, corn, peas
Saute garlic in olive oil in soup pot.  Add broth.  Add left over pot roast or stew ingredients.  
Simmer on medium heat for 30 minutes.  Serve.
I was surprised how well both of these soups cleared my stuffed up head.  But best of all, they made me feel warm and cozy.  That's healing for body, mind and soul.

No comments: