Saturday, October 12, 2013

Opening Up.


work alone. I'm not complaining. As a studio artist, that's just the nature of my work. But next weekend, that's all going to change.

On Saturday and Sunday, I'll be putting signs in front of my house with arrows pointing to my studio. The door will be open. As part of the Washington County Artists Open Studios, my studio will be open for free tours.  And people will be walking in to see what I do all day.   

I'm excited.

I'll be making masks, doing scraffito and maybe under glazing.  And encouraging visitors to get their hands in clay, too. I've taught classes, done demos and shown my work in many different places over the years, schools, galleries, museums, art fairs. So, I'm comfortable with show and tell. ​

And a little nervous, to be honest.

Because I love what I do, it's scary to put it out there for people to see. It's a lot like holding your baby up for all to see, hoping everyone will love them as much as you do. Some will love it. Some won't.

Either way, it's out there. My work is out there, and now, even the neighbors know what it is that I do all day. The curtain has been pulled back and the Great Oz(the magic of art) is revealed. When people come, they'll see what Dorothy saw in Oz, just a man with a microphone. Or in this case, just a woman, a wheel and some clay.

Here's my hope...that everyone big and small who touches clay, lifts a cup, sees art in the making let's it touch them, lift their heart and see the art in themselves. Because no matter what you do all day, it's there, always. All you have to do, is open up.


If you happen to live in or around Portland, Oregon, come and visit Saturday, October 19 or Sunday, October 20th from 11am to 5 pm.  Tour map and info for the Washington County Artists Open Studio is available at www.washcoart.org  And it's FREE!


No comments: