Tuesday, June 19, 2012

When is a blog award really an award?


This week, I received an email announcing that my blog was nominated for a Fascination Award: 2012’s Most Fascinating Art Teacher blog. This nomination was for an article I wrote two years ago titled: “Tree of Life- Courageously Taking Root.” The email was sent by Matthew Pellletier, Director of Public Relations from Accelerated Degree Programs.

Of course, everyone loves to be nominated for an award. And don’t we all want to be winners?

My big question is: What am I winning? Why? And who or what is the Accelerated Degree Program? Googling it, I did find a webpage with a lot of text explaining that anyone can earn a degree in anything they want online. Ok. Glad to know that, but what does that have to do with me, my blog and what is the real deal here?

I don’t want to be a party pooper, here. And I really do believe I am a good artist, teacher and writer. And I do believe that my blog is full of meaningful insights and interesting stories. Is putting a logo on my blog for a nomination from someone or someplace I don’t recognize really meaningful? Then asking my blog followers or others to vote on my nomination so I can win a prize from some unknown place really a good idea?

I don’t know. What I do know is that there are a lot of scams out there online. That being invited to participate in a show, or book, or competition is many times just a way for someone else to make money from me. I do admit, they haven’t asked for any money. Yet. But I do know that posting their logo with a link on my blog will get them traffic and more potential customers for whatever it is they are selling at the Accelerated Degree Programs.

So, thanks for the nomination. But, I think my readers get to read without having voting demanded of their very precious time.

Dear readers, if you want to read the article that was nominated, click on the link


I did have a great time working with third graders doing repousse’ on copper leaves that I made into a 4 foot copper tree that hung in their classroom before it was sold at their annual school auction.

No comments: