Thursday, October 20, 2011

Local author shares her secrets.




Tuesday night at my local Powell’s bookstore, Laini Taylor, local author and artist gave me an inside look into her writing process. Yes, she was promoting her new book, “Daughter of Smoke and Bone.” Yes, I bought a book. Yes, I wanted to know how one writer writes. But that’s not why I went.

What did I really want to know? That I wasn’t alone.

That first drafts take time, sometimes even years. That the first section of your story may wind up being one of the last chapters. That some writers just write, not knowing what the characters are going to say, do or be, and they discover the story as the story tells itself. And that writing alone in your kitchen can lead to a very clean kitchen but not a finished book.

So, sometimes it’s better to get out and write in a noisy place. Maybe that’s why writers love coffee shops so much.


Laini Taylor was a delight to see and hear with her bright pink hair and polka dot dress. Her little daughter, Clementine, was adorable. And it’s nice to see a creative person admit that sometimes, writing takes a back seat to her family. That doesn’t mean creating and writing doesn’t get done. It does.

Laini has written 4 books, one of which is a National Book Award winner. And the new book, “Daughter of Smoke and Bone” was a finalist for the award this year. It was inspiring to see and hear such a successful writer be so open and willing to share her family life and her writing secrets.

Now, I can’t wait to read the whole book. And get back to work on my own writing.

No comments: