Thursday, June 23, 2011

Feed your creativity.



There are times when the creativity is blooming and times when creativity is germinating. Then there are the in-between times when creativity needs to grow at its own pace. Faster some days, slower on others.

It's hard for me to not want to push my self, force those blossoms...right now! But I also know that forced blooms just don't last as long. And why, when I love creating would I want to hurry the process to finish, to be over? I'm sure you know the answer to that question. It's fear.

So that's why this week, I stepped away from the studio. I left my many unfinished pieces, in pieces, and headed to the beach.

Sometimes to feed your creativity, you've got to step away from it. Let it germinate alone. While you feast out in the world, tasting the salty sea air, feeling the sand in your shoes while listening the the concert of the waves cresting and crashing.

2 comments:

patrickgracewood said...

True words. Wish I could have gone with you. Haven't been to the beach in a long time.....Hmmm might have to schedule my own creativity incubation day....at the beach!

Susan Gallacher-Turner said...

I highly recommend it, Patrick. Although, I always feel a little 'guilty' leaving work, I do think that it's time off that, ultimately, leads to finished work.

Hope you get a chance to walk the beach soon!